Sunday, August 31, 2008

Unconvential beauty products that I love

I'm a beauty product junkie. I buy new beauty stuff even if I don't need it, just because it's new and something I haven't tried before. I can wander around the beauty/personal care section of Target or CVS for an hour and not be bored. This is not something I'm proud of, and I probably waste money, but it's something I enjoy.

So when I find something and keep using it for a while, I know it's good. Here are two of those things.


Wen Cleansing Conditioner - $28
I saw an infomercial about this stuff when I was on the road with one of my teams and stuck in the hotel while they were practicing. Finola Hughes was on the commercial and her hair was lustrous, and I wanted lustrous hair like Finola Hughes. After some internet research, and despite the fact that it was kind of pricey, I ordered some.

The weird/different thing about it is that it doesn't lather and it's a single product meant to cleanse and condition your hair all at once. But not like those weird shampoo/conditioner combos. Rather, something that's good for your hair, with no sulfates, which are in almost every shampoo on the market and are supposedly not that great for your hair.

At first I did not like this stuff and it was stashed under my sink for a while until I tried it again a couple weeks ago. The first time I used it, I don't think I used it correctly, because I love it now. My hair doesn't feel as "squeaky clean" as with shampoo, but now I realize that's a good thing. Your hair isn't supposed to be squeaky clean, it needs its natural oils to stay shiny and healthy.

Anyway, like I said, it's pricey, but it replaces your shampoo AND conditioner. And if you already use professional products, this stuff is actually cheaper in the long run.

It comes in several different formulations. I use the Sweet Almond Mint but there are other versions for dry hair or oily hair or whatever.


DHC Deep Cleansing Oil - $24
I have a hard time finding face cleansers that I like. Most things leave my face feeling tight and dry. But I also get an oily t-zone. Classic combination skin. So when I read a commenter on one of my favorite sites raving about using OIL to clean your face, I was intrigued. Then someone mentioned DHC Deep Cleansing Oil and I remembered that I had gotten a DHC catalog with some samples in it. I used the oil sample the next morning and loved it.

It's a makeup remover/cleanser in one. You rub it all over your face before you wet it, and it even removes waterproof mascara. It feels like a huge oil slick on your face, and sort of smells like extra virgin olive oil. But once I rinsed it off, my skin was soft and supple. I combine it with a very gentle cleansing facial bar to get some of the oil residue off afterward and my skin feels great, never tight or dry anymore.

1 comment:

Liz Harrell said...

Oh my gosh, all I saw was 'almond' and 'mint' on that first bottle. My two favorite smells EVER.